The Licking County Health Department (LCHD) provides pregnant women in Licking County the support and resources they need to quit smoking through their Baby & Me – Tobacco Free program. The Baby & Me – Tobacco Free program is funded through a grant from the Ohio Department of Health and helps educate pregnant women who smoke on the many benefits of quitting smoking for her health and the health of her baby.
When pregnant women commit to quit smoking during their pregnancy and postpartum, and then successfully complete the prenatal visits and breath tests, they earn free diaper vouchers for up to 12 months postpartum.
The Baby & Me – Tobacco Free program aims to reduce the burden of tobacco on our society by addressing the high prevalence of tobacco use among women during pregnancy. LCHD provides counseling support and resources to pregnant women with a goal that they will quit smoking and maintain smoking cessation throughout the postpartum period and beyond. The Baby & Me – Tobacco Free program results in improved birth outcomes and long-term positive outcomes for women and their children in Licking County.
How the Baby & Me – Tobacco Free program works
• Pregnant women who are currently smoking or have regularly smoked within three months of becoming pregnant are eligible for the program.
• In addition to the eligible woman, one support partner (anyone living with the pregnant woman) who is also currently smoking, is welcome to enroll in the program for double the incentives.
• Women (and their partner, if applicable) attend four prenatal counseling cessation sessions with an LCHD Nurse or Health Educator. There, they will receive education and support for quitting smoking and staying quit, and test using a carbon monoxide (CO) breath test.
• At prenatal sessions three and four, women may receive their first two diaper vouchers, if they test tobacco free.
• After the birth of the baby, women visit with their LCHD Nurse or Health Educator monthly to continue CO breath tests and if proven to be smoke free, receive a monthly diaper voucher for up to 12 months postpartum.
• Diaper vouchers can be used for any brand or size of diapers at Walmart and/or local participating stores.
• If a support partner who enrolled in the program successfully quits smoking, they may receive diaper vouchers during the postpartum period as well.
Quitting smoking is the single most important thing you can do for your health and the health of your baby!
Benefits for your baby
• Increases the amount of oxygen your baby will get
• Increases the chances your baby’s lungs will work
• Lowers the risk that your baby will be born too early or too small
• Increases the chance that your baby will come home from the hospital
with you on time
Benefits for you
• Gives you more energy and helps you breathe easier
• Reduces your risk of developing smoking-related cancer and other chronic diseases
• Saves money
• Makes your clothes, hair and home smell better
• Makes your food taste better
• Helps you feel good about what you’ve done for yourself and your baby
If you are ready to quit smoking and want to enroll in the Licking County Health Department’s Baby & Me – Tobacco Free program, call LCHD at (740) 349-6535 or visit www.babyandmetobaccofree.com. We will set up your first appointment and provide you the positive support you need to quit. You and your baby can be tobacco free!