Q: Do Implants Help Generate Healthy Bone Growth?
A: Yes. In fact, areas with dental implants keep bone from eroding under pressure. Just like having a tooth prevents dental bone from shrinking, an implant mimics the internal stimulation which is like regular exercise for maintaining that bone. Any bone without a job shrinks; holding an implant gives the bone a new job, thus preserving it.
Q: Do Our Mouths Change as We Get Older?
A: Yes, we have tooth wear and flattening of teeth, TMJ problems increase. Since younger teeth chew up and down like the joint was designed, flatter teeth can make us chew side to side, similar to a cow, thus straining and damaging our jaw joints. Sharper tooth shapes are our labs’ priority.
Q: What Does Longevity Dentistry Mean?
A: It is the art of blending many decades of study and experience to plan and treat for long term success. Blending advanced preventive skills with advanced treatment skills for a beautiful, long-lasting smile and bite that is easy to care for.
Q: What Are Some of the Benefits of Longevity Dentistry?
A: – Better, longer lasting smiles
-Staying ahead of dental problems instead of ignoring early warning signs of failure
– Reduced long term loss of teeth
– Reduced long term cost through long-lasting treatments such as E-Max Crowns and dental implants which can go 30-40 years versus 10-20 years for old fashioned crowns, partials and bridges.
– No gambling on “patch and spackle” dental care which fails later and leaves you with a worse problem. 85% of general dental care is patch and spackle with little long term planning or choices presented.
Q: What Makes a Longevity Focused Dentist
Different from a General Dentist?
A: -Advanced preventative skills for the higher risk of cavities since exposed roots demand better bacterial plaque control training, more powerful fluoride treatments, more thorough removal of hard tartar and plaque and more difficult teeth to polish requiring advanced hygienist skills.
-Advanced laboratory skills – we have our own lab because:
• Strong, long-lasting materials
• Better bite details
• Better shaping of the teeth to prevent food traps and enhanced brushing
• Advanced implant skills to strengthen the bite to last
James E. Butler, DMD, Founder
3535 Fishinger Blvd., Suite 260
Hilliard, OH 43026