– 1 lb. lean ground beef (or ground turkey for even healthier option)
– 1 medium onion, chopped
– 1 medium green pepper, chopped
– 1 medium jalapeño, chopped (optional)
– 2 tsp. minced garlic (jarred)
– 1 tbsp. chili powder
– 1 tbsp. ground cumin
– 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
– 1 can (15.5 oz.) low-sodium pinto, chili
or kidney beans, rinsed & drained
– 1 can (14.5 oz.) low-sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
– 3/4 cup jarred salsa
1. Spray large saucepan with cooking spray. Cook beef (or turkey) and onion over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly to break up meat. Transfer to colander and rinse with water to drain excess fat. Return meat to pan.
2. Stir in green pepper, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.serve topped with low-fat grated cheese, a dollop of fat-free sour cream, sliced avocado, snipped cilantro or chopped green onions.